Monday, April 6, 2015

DeviantArt and NetGear Problem

I really refrain from posting this kind of Techno Garbage.. But, this is a problem that I've faced from time-to-time & has to be noted.

I drink my coffee, play a game of Dota, open Chrome and go to DeviantArt. The site does not load !

This has happened twice now & obviously, only on my PC. DA works fine everywhere else.

The last time, I had to do a lot of trial-and-error and play around with all the Router-settings. I found that this was a problem with the MTU-size. (http://192.168.0.1/ > WAN setup > MTU size) (admin - password)

Set router to MTU 1500 to start with.Open CMD. At the DOS prompt, type in
        ping deviantart.com -f -l 1492

If you get the response "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set", lower the size the packet in increments of +/-10 (e.g. 1472, 1462, 1440, 1400) until you have a packet size that does not fragment.
Now increase the packet size from this number in small increments until you find the largest size that does not fragment. Add 28 to that number (IP/ICMP headers) to get the optimal MTU setting.
For example, if the largest packet size from ping tests is 1462, add 28 to 1462 to get a total of 1490 which is the optimal MTU setting and can be put in the router's settings

It happened again today. But, the above article explained how to set an optimal MTU-size.
Turns out my optimal MTU size is 1450.

No comments:

Post a Comment